Tell us about yourself and how you got started with TEC?
I joined TEC when my oldest was entering 1st grade. She is now a senior. I will be entering my 12th year of homeschooling, along with my second son (a freshman) and my youngest (2nd grade). I enjoy learning first and teaching second.
I am a visual learner and is how I like to teach, along with hands-on teaching/learning. I like to have fun and incorporate a lot of movement in my classes.
What classes do you teach and tell us a little bit of each one, if more than one subject?
1) Geography Adventures (grades K-2) – This is such a fun class with the littles. I love this age group. They are so open to learning and they are so darn cute. This year we will be traveling through Europe and along the way learn about their culture, try some food, see how they live, and compare the differences and likes from how we live. We will learn how to draw a map and have fun projects throughout the year.
2) Classical Learning (grades 2-4) – I have been teaching this class to my 2 oldest and my youngest when they turn 4. This is the foundation to learning how to memorize facts from History, Science, English Grammar, Math, and even some Latin. They may not understand all that they memorize but from experience; the kids always come back to these facts. We have fun learning the memory facts through songs and hand motions. You will be surprised what their brains can retain.
3) Early Spanish (grades K-2) – I am hispanic and grew up in a Spanish speaking home. I am so looking forward to teaching your children Spanish through worksheets, songs, and stories.
4) HS Health (this class is half semester) – Health is a fast-paced book written to your teens. We will cover anatomy, body system, food choices, and more. I am a certified aromatherapist and studying to receive my professional license, which included an in-depth study of the anatomy and physiology. I am excited to share my enthusiasm with your child/children.
5) Google Computers (this class is half semester) – As a graphic designer of over 30 years experience, I am able to share my love for working on the computer and sharing the best possible options of creating files, sharing, and setting up projects using all parts of Google (docs, spreadsheets, drive, etc).
What are you looking forward to the most at our new location in North Aurora?
Everything! Space. The building filled with voices of children. Families gathering together and creating a wonderful community of homeschool children and sharing the love for Christ.
What do you like to do in your free time? I continue to love to learn. As an aromatherapist, I am learning a lot about essential oils and how it can help my health and I enjoy helping others. I knit, read, and exercise. Best of all, I love being with my family and meeting new families!